1. The most effective way to get job interviews is the old adage, “See a guy who knows a guy,” A technique known as “Networking.”
2. It is important to include every job you ever held when writing a resume.
3. A job interview is really a sales presentation by the applicant. Therefore, the job seeker must sell his or her personality, potential, strengths, and experience.
4. Approximately 2% of job seekers are successful in obtaining an interview when responding to a blind ad.
5. The job application is considered a tool of the employer, while the resume is considered a tool of the job seeker.
However, here are top 10 job search survival tips:
1. Give yourself a Break
Don’t be too hard on yourself. A job search can be a difficult task. Don’t try to compare yourself to others, the job you decide to take has to be right for you.
2. Turn off your computer
Most people find jobs through other people, not via the Internet. For each hour you spend online, try to match it with one hour of phone calls and personal interaction.
3. Network Intelligently
Networking is not just about asking someone for a job. It develop contacts and build long term relationships. Tell everyone you know that you are looking and what you are looking for.
4. Use the Career Center
Use the Career Center in person or online. Individual appointments to assist with your job search strategies are available.
5. Emotional Support
Looking for a job can be a stressful endeavor so don't be afraid of rely on your family and friends for support.
Good jobs don’t stay open long- act immediately if you are interested in a position.
7. Join a Professional Association
Professional Associations provide: journals , access to member information – great for networking, job listing services, great resume builders, local chapters.
8. Eat Right, Sleep and Exercise
You will be more alert mentally, if you take care of your physical health so take advantage of the nice weather – get outside and enjoy it!
9. Consider Temping
10. Consider Volunteering
It provide experience in your field. For example: A marketing student may help plan and advertise for a fundraising event.
Good luck! ;)